6 March 2019
How to treat outdoor wood?
Let's find out together some simple and quick steps to treat and protect outdoor wood.
Today we want to show you, in simple and quick steps, how to treat outdoor wood. Whether it is pergolas, chairs, tables, any wooden structure, to maintain its beauty over time, needs a specific treatment and a periodic maintenance. Let’s find out why and above all how to keep our wood in excellent condition.
The sun of these days reminds us to those relaxing moments spent in the garden to read a good book, or those pleasant days between barbecues and outdoor games, spent in the company of relatives and friends. If your garden furniture is mainly made of wood, to welcome the spring sun and not be unprepared, this is the right time to clean it and renew it.
Wood is definitely one of the most loved and appreciated materials for its beauty and versatility, but unlike other synthetic materials, it definitely needs more care and attention.
In particular, wood that is used for the outdoors, exposed to environmental phenomena that can easily ruin it, to maintain its qualities needs to be protected with specific treatments.
This component, in fact, if on the one hand, thanks to its qualities, strength and sustainability, goes perfectly with the outside environments creating real relaxing oases, on the other is a natural and living material that requires special attention.
Why should external wood be treated?
Before knowing the best practices on how to treat and protect outdoor wood, we try to find out what are the particularly harmful factors that ruin it the most.
Among the main degrading factors of wood, we can include:
- Rays of the sun: the sun acts negatively both at the level of heat and at the level of ultraviolet rays; in the first case the heat weakens the bonds of the lignin and favors the detachment of the fibers, on the other in a short time attacks the surface generating a bleaching of color.
- Water and humidity: rain, snow, frost, cause a high humidity. Humidity in general is very dangerous for wood because it can cause fungi, molds, which lead to the maceration of the substance. The presence of water is a very harmful factor because it affects the technical and profound structure of the structure.
- Attack of insects: mainly known as “woodworms” that are often found in larval form on imported woods.
Once we know the factors from which we must defend our wood, we try to understand what we must do and what steps to follow to protect it.
One of the most effective methods is certainly that of using an impregnating agent for external wood, this will help us to prevent the formation of fungi and microorganisms and to keep our material in good health, carrying out both protective and decorative action.
Useful tips for treating outdoor wood
So, at this point, after understanding that to prevent mold, dirt and degradation, the external wood requires continuous maintenance, we just have to find out what actions are necessary to perform.
Do not worry, however, with a little commitment and with the help of the right products, keep our wood in excellent condition will be a breeze.
1.As a first step, we must necessarily clean the surface that we are going to treat.
Using a sponge or a soft cloth, we remove dust and dirt from the wood.
For stubborn dirt, we recommend using a degreasing detergent for outdoor treated wood: DETER CLEAN, a product that does not contain solvents and that removes quickly and thoroughly the deposits of dirt, smog, dust, grease, algae and mold.
If instead, after the winter, the wood of gazebos, floors or simply chairs and tables, appears not only dirty but also stained or very degraded, it is advisable in these cases to restore and renew the material before using any protective material.
2.An excellent product to carry out an extraordinary washing and to prepare the surface to receive the application of a new protection is SMACCHIO LEGNO. A specific stain remover that removes aging patinas, algae and mold from wood exposed on the outside and renews the natural aspect of aged wood.
3.Once dry, we can protect our surface with FLUOIL, an impregnating agent for external wood, oil-wax-based and anti-degrade, an easy-to-apply product that does not require resanding.
- it forms a hydro-oleo-repellent, resistant and non-sticky protection;
- avoids the aging and the greying of the wood;
- gives protection to the wood that allows it to breathe, preventing the stagnation of moisture, in order to inhibit the development of micro-organisms (algae, molds);
- it does not form superficial films and leaves the natural appearance of the material;
- easy to apply and preserve over time;
- it does not create peelings, nor exfoliation and does not need to be sanding twice.
4.Another professional treatment to protect and remove dirt from the external wood is BARRIER. Water-based anti-degrade protective finish. An emulsion product, ready to use, suitable for all types of external wood surfaces treated with transparent paints, paints and dyes, impregnating agents and oils. By forming a highly resistant micro-layer, BARRIER gives the wood surface a new luster, a better water repellency and dirt protection.
So let’s remember that if we decided to use wood to furnish our terraces or our gardens, before laying or external exposure, it is necessary to treat each component with appropriate and quality products to preserve its beauty and structural compliance.
READ ALSO: How to treat and protect outdoor wood?