31 May 2018
How to clean the outdoor surfaces from algae, mosses and lichens
The best solutions for the outdoor surfaces cleaning
These beautiful spring days, like every year, invite us to dedicate some free hours to the recovery and the floor, balconies, lanes, walls cleaning; all the outdoor surfaces that with no doubt embellish our house, being elements of great value, but that, at the same time, represent very vulnerable components because subjected to particular and recurrent troubles.
In fact, if the outdoor surfaces aren’t well protected, they are the areas of our house that suffer more the wear, especially caused by climatic factors and so, necessitate a particular attention. The cure and the cleaning of outdoor surfaces became essentials to avoid problems due to negligence. Usually, passed the winter and the exposure to cold, humidity and rains, is easy that particular grassy patinas born on all types of outdoor surfaces, including the stone surfaces. These algae of different colours and consistencies penetrate into the surface and between the joints of the materials, compromising its natural beauty and security. Over time, in fact, the proliferation of these algae, in addition to create stains and permanent signs that cause a big problem from the aesthetic point of view, penetrating deeply, can also create cracks and deep disconnections causing structural damages and seriously endangering the integrity of the surface. So, it’s important for all these reasons, to not overlook this problem and to clean our surfaces constantly.
How to act to clean deeply the outdoor surfaces
The appearance of this green patina represents a common and very unpleasant problem. In fact, being a vegetal element, it regenerates continuously and its cleaning and elimination can result very difficult. To clean this kind of substance it’s important act with timeliness, distinguishing the characteristics and the peculiarities. Usually our surfaces are attacked by 3 kinds of a biological patina:
- Mosses: they are not vascular plants, primitive organisms that grow up in wet places. There are three different orders: real mosses, Sphagnum and granite mosses. The latter, the granite mosses, are a hundred of species all belonging to the Andreaea genus, that grow up on granite rocks creating wisp of dark green colour, almost black. The mosses can penetrate deeply and cause cracks on walls and situation of chemical degradation.
- Algae: vegetal organisms that live and develop in very humid places. They can be unicellular or multicellular and they reproduce continuously also on outdoor surfaces with a high humidity level. The algae create on the materials a stratification that cause a compact and usually dark film, causing stains and permanent signs.
- Lichens: They are organisms that born from an association between mushrooms and algae where the two members draw mutual benefit. The first give water and mineral salts, getting back the organic substances that the alga produces thanks to the chlorophyll photosynthesis. Lichen body usually looks like a crust adhering to the earth substrate, like a single oroverlapping little squama, or little bushes. Lichens contaminate the surfaces with their lamellar, crustose or with plates structure.
Fortunately, to clean the mosses, algae and lichens’ organic wastes or to eliminate the strong scaling caused by them, without damaging the surfaces, a specific and very successful product comes to help us: ALGANET
Alganet is a cleaner, stain remover for the removal of biological encrustations. Its principal function is to remove algae and mosses wastes, also considerable and other encrustations with biological origin like blackening caused by organisms, leaves and flowers wastes, animals’ excrements, urines, ecc. Two more fundamental characteristics of this product are:
- Strong sanitizer power on all treated surfaces, even more effective than the sodium hypochlorite (bleach)
- particularly suited to all the outdoor stone surfaces and artefacts (terracotta, natural stone, cinder artefacts, quarry tile, porcelain tile, Ceramic, etc.)
Don’t hesitate to contact us for advices or questions about the cleaning of your surfaces 🙂